The mission of the Heartland Education Community, Inc., is to create a community-based learning environment relevant and accessible to every age and cultural background within which all Orrville area residents will be able to:
- Prepare for and engage in responsible citizenship, lifelong learning and productive employment
- Practice and maintain environmental and ethical stewardship
- Develop critical thinking, computation, technological and communication skills
- Have ample access to training in foreign languages, the fine arts, physical fitness, and personal enrichment
- Reach or exceed world-class standards within and beyond the core subject areas of English, mathematics, science, history and geography
All Heartland efforts are based on five fundamental principles about the philosophy of education that we call The Five C's: Community, Connecting Learning to Life, Critical Thinking, Character Development and Continuous Improvement.
The Heartland project involves volunteers with broad representation from the Orrville community. They include educators, city officials, parents, business representatives, students, and school administrators.
Funding for Heartland initiatives is made possible through the generous contributions of local businesses and individuals. Heartland has also generated more than $1.1 million in additional grant funds for the Orrville community.
Heartland activities are the result of numerous community members who dedicate their time and talents for the improvement of education throughout Orrville. Anyone who is interested can volunteer to help with Heartland activities.