OrrViews Community News
OrrViews is the free, bi-weekly paper of the Orrville community. It is a communications initiative of the Heartland Education Community Inc. and is a nonprofit organization. As such, it operates without advertising, on a budget composed entirely of sponsorship donations.
News articles are written by representatives of area businesses and organizations as well as individuals with events and milestones to share. Journalism experience is appreciated but not required.
The OrrViews mission is to continue to publish and distribute OrrViews, which will communicate information about the Orrville community to and from the people of the Orrville City School District and create an archive to preserve our local history.
One part-time general manager, two layout and design consultants, and countless volunteers make it possible for publication of more than 3,600 copies of OrrViews every other week.
OrrViews archive has been updated! You now have access to all past issues of OrrViews.
POSITION: General Manager, OrrViews Community Paper
REPORTS TO: OrrViews Advisory Board
REQUIRED HOURS: Part-time, salaried. Must be flexible based on news events and publication deadlines.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The General Manager is responsible for the twice monthly publication of OrrViews community paper, an initiative of the nonprofit Heartland Education Community, Inc., operating under Heartland’s 501(c) (3) umbrella. Focus on maintaining the quality and relevance of the paper while ensuring its continued growth within the parameters of the vision and mission of the Heartland Education Community.
The ideal candidate is a motivated, community focused individual that has strong organizational and time management skills and can work independently. The candidate should be a self-starter with a proven ability to meet goals and who has demonstrated effective leadership for project management.
- Production and distribution oversight
- Organize, prioritize, type set and edit submitted articles
- Write stories on occasion
- Photograph key events
- Coordinate and oversee activities of contracted layout/design services
- Coordinate activities with print provider or printing company
- Coordinate and monitor paper distribution
- General and office management
- Advisory board participation and coordination
- Oversight, coordination, participation of committees including:
- Finance – budget oversight and coordination of accounting services
- Content – story solicitation, general review, idea generation
- Sponsorship – fundraising oversight, coordination and donor tracking
- HR Committee – Advisory Board development and strategic planning
- Maintain historical record of meeting agendas and minutes
- Community relations
- Represent organization to community
- Solicit community involvement and support
- Participation in Heartland Education Community, Inc. Steering Committee
- Volunteer and intern recruitment and organization
- High school graduate required
- BA/BS degree preferred
- Experience writing, editing and proofreading
- Ability to prioritize topics of importance to Orrville community
- Budgeting and fundraising experience a plus
- Ability to network within school district and business community
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently
- Experience leading volunteers
- Graphic design skills preferred
Please send resume and cover letter to Lori Reinbolt, OrrViews Human Resource Chair, via email at email@example.com. Position will be open until filled.